Best, Most Scary Haunted Houses in Michigan
Looking for haunted houses in Michigan? Be prepared to be scared!
Fall in Michigan means cooler weather and beautiful fall leaves, but there’s another side to the fall season…
In October, the atmosphere grows increasingly spooky as Halloween approaches, with scary stories of ghosts and goblins that gobble up children, or spellcasting witches and wild werewolves who wander the woods at twilight on haunted trails.
Are you one of the thrill seekers looking to get terrified? Take it one step further and visit one of these terrifying Michgan haunted houses.
Read on for our list of haunted houses in Michigan. If you’re searching for a “haunted house near me”, the map at the bottome of this post can help you find the closest map to your destination.
Haunted Places in Michigan
There are dozens of haunted houses in Michigan and competitive is stiff for the title of “Michigan’s best haunted house.” If you’re looking for some real haunted places in Michigan – use our Guide to the Most Haunted Places in Michigan.
Best Michigan Haunted Houses in Southeast Michigan and Metro Detroit
Haunted Houses in Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, Pontiac, Westland, Madison Heights, Commerce Township, Romulus, Grosse Pointe, Pinckney
- Brandywine Cemetery- 272 Brandywine Drive, Ann Arbor, MI
Brandywine Cemetery in Ann Arbor is a special spot. Here, horror is achieved through creative storytelling, sound, lighting, and major attention to detail (especially since most of the props are hand-made), all while avoiding most of the blood and gore many major haunts rely on.
- Night Terrors at Wiard’s Orchards – 5565 Merritt Rd., Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Recently voted one of the top eight thrill parks in the country, Wiards is a must on any list of Michigan haunted house-lover. There’s a reason that Night Terrors Thrills Park at Wiard’s Orchards is a favorite: after enduring three haunted houses, a maze, clowns, and a haunted hayride, you get to end your evening with cider and donuts!
- Eloise Asylum- 30712 Michigan Ave, Westland, MI 48186
A haunted house…in a real haunted house? In a word, YES. Eloise Asylum is located in a former psychiatric hospital with a dark past. Buily in 1839, it has served as a poor house, sanitorium, and psychiatric hospital, with a background so scary that it served as the inspiration for the horror film “Eloise.” Now, it’s one of the top haunted attractions in the country. It’s an immersive 30,00 square feet experience featuring of truly terrifying exhibits, pyrotechnics, and more.
- Erebus – 18 S Perry St., Pontiac, MI 48342
Erebus Haunted House is not just famous in Michigan, it’s recognized as one of the best-haunted attractions in the whole nation. In operation for over 20 years now, Erebus in downtown Pontiac has grown into a huge attraction, once holding the Guinness World Record for the longest walk-through haunted attraction worldwide until it was overtaken in 2009. Still, this four-story 100,000 square-foot haunt is well equipped with high-quality sets and costumes filled with an enthusiastic cast of monsters to scare the pants off you. Is it the scariest haunted house in Michigan? We’ll let you be the judge.
- Azra Chamber of Horrors – 31401 John R Rd Bldg 2, Madison Heights, MI 48071
Azra Chamber of Horrors Haunted House is a new addition to Michigan’s haunted house collection, but in its first couple of years, it has made a significant impression. Taking its name from a dragon who feeds on fear, this spot certainly delivers on fear-factor allowing it to skyrocket to the top spot in Michigan, and among the top 20 haunts nationwide.
More Haunted Houses in Metro Detroit
- Glenlore Trails – 3860 Newton Rd, Commerce Charter Twp, MI 48382
Michigan’s illuminated forest has transformed once again! Come explore the wonders of time in FATE. Glenlore Trails is an immersive night walk located in Commerce Michigan. Every Thursday to Sunday evening the forest comes to life in a dazzling display of light, sound, and wonder.
- This family-friendly experience is perfect for a night out with family, spending time with friends, or earning points on date night. Earlier time slots tend to fill with young families, while the evening brings out a louder crowd.
- HushHush Haunted Attraction – 37550 Cherry Hill Rd., Westland, MI 48185
Hush is one of Michigan’s most immersive haunts, featuring three separate attractions: Descent, where you’re trapped in a mine; Coven, where you explore a witch coven’s lair; and Rosecliff Hall, the classic haunted house experience.
- Haunted Garage Productions – 19520 Mack Ave., Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236
Voted one of Michigan’s top haunted attractions by Local4 News/ Click on Detroit, this family-friendly haunted house in Grosse Pointe is the brainchild of a local elementary school educator. The haunted garage is thrilling for adults and kids of all ages and it’s seriously spooky and fun at the same time.
- Ghostly Grove Haunted Forest Attraction – 10055 Dexter-Pinckney Rd., Pinckney, MI 48169
You’ll find a suspenseful, almost mile-long walk through a trail in Livingston County. There are thrills and chills around every corner, and the scary scenes change every year.
- Terrorfied Forest – 145 Swarthout Rd., Pinckney, MI 48169
One of the most popular haunted trails in southeast Michigan, the Terrorfied Forest is almost a mile long scary surprises around every corner. The Forest changes every year, so keep your eyes open for new thrills and chills.
- Deranged Haunt – 35560 Goddard Rd., Romulus, MI 48174
You’ll find five acres of haunted fun here, and they have a virtual line queue so that you can stay warm in your car while you wait for your turn to be spooked!
Thumb Area Haunted Houses
Haunted Houses in Lexnox, Schwartz Creek
- Scarefest Scream Park – 34111 28 Mile Rd, Lenox, MI 48048
If you were to combine the thematic excellence of Disney and the horror of monsters, zombies and chainsaws, you would get Scarefest Scream Park in Lenox. Here, a whole world of terror, including four distinct attractions, is packed into an isolated woodland venue.
- Spooky Trails – 8266 Baldwin Rd, Swartz Creek, MI 48473
The haunted attractions at Spooky Trails located in Swartz Creek, just outside of Flint, are open Fridays and Saturdays in October from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Brave guests can pick from The Original Haunted Straw Maze, The Undead Field of Fear Haunted Corn Field or The Zombie Hunter Hayride.
Best Haunted Houses West Michigan
Haunted Houses in Grand Rapids, Wyoming, Dorr, Sparta
- The Haunt – 1256 28th St SW., Wyoming, MI 49509
The Haunt in Wyoming, just outside Grand Rapids has been a long-standing favorite of haunted house enthusiasts. This massive location covers 50,000 square feet across five attractions, including 144 rooms, almost 100 fantastic actors, and 62 animatronics. Scope out one or all of the five themes, including a vampire manor, a haunted hospital, a frozen swamp, a twisted circus, and a dilapidated factory in a post-apocalyptic world. With compelling stories and intricate sets, this immersive experience is well worth a visit.
- New Salem Corn Maze “Witches of New Salem” – 4516 24th St., Dorr, MI 49323
This haunted corn maze in Dorr is right off US-12, about 20 miles south of Grand Rapids , and consists of dead ends, twists, turns, confusion, and mayhem. Attempt to escape while you’re followed by the corn stalkers. A second haunt is available on-site to those who dare. The Witches Woods is Salem themed and features over 20 attractions, dozens of actors, and props.
- Abandoned Acres Farm Haunted Attraction – 7737 Fruit Ridge Ave NW. Sparta, MI 49345
This haunted attraction located in Sparta, just north of Grand Rapids, has two terrifying corn mazes, open through Halloween night.
- The Bloody Butcher Corn Maze has mutant pumpkins, witches, hillbillies, wandering corpses, scarecrows, and insane farm animals. The second maze on-site is Big Top Terror Vision, a 3-D, circus-themed corn maze that features crazy clowns, misfits, and deranged circus animals. Pick one or do both.
Best Haunted Houses Southwest Michigan
Haunted Houses in Southwest Michigan
- Nightmare Realm – 23492 Red Arrow Hwy, Mattawan, MI
This indoor-outdoor haunt in West Michigan is an immersive experience. Be ready to be frightened’ recommended for ages 13.
- Psycho Ward Haunted House – 7656 Ravine Rd, Kalamazoo, MI 49009
Voted one of the top haunted attractions in southwest Michigan, this not-meant-for-children haunted house is seriously scary. Be ready to be transported into a world with zombies, ghouls, ghosts and more.
Top Haunted Houses in Northern Michigan
Haunted Houses in Traverse City, Manistee, Mackinaw City, Kingsley
- Spears House of Fright Haunted Hotel – 150 Loxley St #100, Houghton Lake, MI 48629
Find you’ll find two scary mazes, a haunted hotel and bar, and many more chilling thrills at this Houghton Lake haunted house.
- Asylum After Dark – 830 Cottageview Drive, Traverse City, MI
This seriously spooky haunted house is set in a former psychiatric hospital…isn’t that enough? It’s 30 minutes of frightening fun in Traverse City.
- Ghost Farm of Kingsley – 5010 Pierce Rd., Kingsley, MI 49649
Ravencrow Returns is the theme of this haunted trail in Kingsley, just south of Traverse City. It’s one of the top scary attractions in northern Michigan a mix of scary-fun thrills that’s family-friendly, too.
- Fort Fright – 102 w Straits Ave, Mackinaw City, MI 49701
Grab your lanterns and make your way through an 18th-century Mackinaw City fort and fur trading village where wolves, witches, goblins, and ghouls tell spooky stories. There are bonfires and treats like cookies, candy, and hot cider.
- SS City of Milwaukee Ghost Ship – 99 Arthur St., Manistee, MI 49660
The only haunted house attraction located on a car ferry is the SS City of Milwaukee…enter at your own risk. This is a don’t miss in Manistee.
Haunted Houses in Mid-Michigan
Haunted Houses in Bay City, Saginaw, Flint, Millington, Ashley, Holly, Fowlerville
- Awaken Haunted Attraction – 4760 Churchill Rd, Leslie, MI 49251
Mid Michigan’s scariest haunted house is actually four haunted attractions for the price of one. Visit Awaken and find 32,000 scary square feet of horror.
- Rotten Manor – 13245 Dixie Hwy., Holly, MI 48442
This sprawling haunted complex includes a haunted house. insane asylum, gingerbread house, clown barn, and haunted forest. There is also carnival games, concessions, and more.
- Slaughterhouse Adventure & Grand River Corn Maze – 5781 W Grand River Rd., Fowlerville, MI 48836
This unique spot offers a haunted maze, a hayride, and an escape room. You’ll find animatronics, explosions, clowns, monsters, and more.
- Past Tense After Dark – 1965 Farnsworth Rd., Lapeer, MI 48446
You’ll find three haunted attractions on this farm in Lapeer, including the Hayride of Despair, the Corn Maze of Fear, and a House of Horrors.
More Haunted Houses in Mid Michigan
- Exit 13 Haunted House – 6069 Saginaw St., Flint, MI 48505
You’ll find wall-to-wall terror in this Flint haunted house with new attractions every year.
- Bates Haunted Sawmill – 7240 State Rd., Millington, MI 48746
- Yikes, this is a really scary haunted house! It’s interactive, so be ready to be frightened.
- Wicked Woods of Terror Haunted Trail – 2915 Ross Rd., Caro MI
Walk the 20-minute trail and try not to scream aloud at this haunted attraction in Caro.
- Factory of the Dead – 906 Lapeer Ave., Saginaw, MI 48607
Are you brave enough to explore one of the biggest haunted houses in mid-Michigan?
- Xavier Haunt – 121 N Hamilton St., Saginaw, MI 48602
- Located in Old Town Saginaw, this is one of the top haunted attractions in the Tri-Cities area, with ghosts and ghouls lurking in the corners of this frightening building.
- Terror on 27 – 8691 S Bagley Rd., Ashley, MI 48806
You’ll find three attractions here, including two haunted houses and a maze that takes you down a twisted path of terror.
Haunted Attractions in South/Central Michigan
Haunted Houses in Jackson and Battle Creek
- Zoerman’s Zombies – 626 North Mechanic, Jackson MI
Built next to Michigan’s first state penitentiary, this scary haunted house is one of the most frightening in Michigan. Are you brave enough to visit Zoerman’s Zombies.
- Jackson’s Underworld – 1318 Wildwood Ave, Jackson, MI 49202
This four-story warehouse is home to two of the most terrifying haunted houses in Michigan.
Map of Haunted Houses in Michigan
More Michigan Haunted Halloween Things to Do
About the Author-
Bella DiMascio is a Content Editor for mymichiganbeach.com. She grew up in the Detroit suburb of Westland and later attended Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo where she majored in Communication Studies and minored in English: Writing. Creative writing has been a hobby and interest of Bella’s since she was in elementary school and she is thrilled to be using her talents to highlight the Great Lakes State. Outside of writing, Bella enjoys getting outside with her two Australian Shepherds, playing video games, and binging shows on Netflix.
We love sharing the beauty of Michigan with you. Please feel free to use the buttons below to share this with others. Thanks!